Christmas, Food, Recipes Blogged by: Recipearce30 Nov 2021
Slow Cooked Sticky Beef Cheeks
Move over traditional turkey - replace your regular roast with this slow cooked sticky beef cheek. This fall off the bone, melt in your mouth beef cheek is a Pearce family favourite. Despite the daunting cooktime at first glance, this recipe is super simple allowing you to set and forget, making it the perfect Christmas Day dish. So what are you waiting for? Get cooking!
2 brown onions
1L beef stock
1 teaspoon of cumin
2kg of beef cheeks
Shallow casserole dish - pan that is oven safe with a lid
Preparation and cooking time: 5.5 hours (but don’t fret, its set and forget!)
1. Pop pan on medium heat on stove and preheat oven to 140C
2. Finely dice 2 brown onions. Peel and finely dice two carrots. Roughly chop 8 pitted dates.
3. Turn pan up to high, add a generous drizzle of olive oil to the pan. Add beef cheeks in to brown (do not overcrowd the pan).
4. Brown for 3 mins, flip and then brown on the second side for 3 mins. Remove from pan, repeat with remaining beef cheeks.
5. Once beef is done and removed from pan, turn pan down to low to medium heat and add some more olive oil. Add carrots and onions in and sweat down for 10 mins.
6. Add 1 teaspoon of cumin, zest of 1 lemon, add 8 chopped dates, and stir through.
7. Tuck your beef cheeks into pan around the mixture.
8. Add beef stock until beef is covered.
9. Pop lid on and put into oven on 140C
10. After 4 hours increase oven to 200C and take lid off
11. Cook for a further 1 hour then remove from oven and serve