Dig down right to the bottom to find a raspberry cream cheese layer under layers of soaked madeira cake, raspberry jelly cubes, creamy custard and whipped cream. For a spectacular fresh and delicious crown for this easy to make trifle it is hard to go past sweet cherries, summer berries and ruby red pomegranate.
If you would like to prep ahead, you can make the jelly a week before, and you can even build the trifle (without the cream and fruit toppings) up to 2 days ahead of time. Just wrap it in plastic wrap and keep it chilled. When it comes time to serve simply top the trifle with cream, fruit and the remaining jelly. Easy!
CHERRY BERRY CHEESECAKE TRIFLE RECIPE
Preparation time: 20 mins, plus 6 hours mins setting time
Cooking time: NIL
2 x 85g packets raspberry jelly crystals
500ml boiling water
2 x 250g blocks cream cheese, chopped, softened
1/3 cup raspberry jam
2 tablespoon icing sugar mixture
200g store-bought madeira cake, cut into 2cm cubes
60ml sweet sherry or apple juice
500ml thick vanilla bean custard
300ml tub thickened cream, whipped
1 cup cherries, pitted
½ x 250g punnet strawberries, hulled and sliced
125g punnet raspberries
Pomegranate arils (seeds), to serve
1. Put jelly crystals into a large heatproof bowl and pour in boiling water. Stir until crystals have dissolved then pour into a plastic container about 16cm long x 10cm wide x 5cm deep. Refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight until jelly is firmly set.
2. Put cream cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for about 5 minutes or until soft and fluffy. Add jam and icing sugar mixture and beat on low until combined. Spoon into an 8-cup capacity glass trifle dish and smooth surface.
3. Arrange cake cubes on top, then press down slightly to stick them securely into the cream cheese layer, then drizzle over sherry or juice.
4. Turn out jelly onto a chopping board and cut into cubes. Set 10 cubes aside for garnish, then arrange remaining jelly on top of cake layer, followed by custard and cream.
5. Top with cherries, strawberries, raspberries, reserved jelly and a scattering of pomegranate. Serve.